Thursday, December 29, 2016

A Great Place to Begin Research

I have many different research areas and Oxford Bib was a great place for me to go for sources. One of my topics is Lake Erie Businesses during World War II. Oxford bib has a wealth of sources in regards to World War II and war mobilization. There were also sources on the wine industry in America.  One book, A History of Wine in America from the Beginnings to Prohibition, by Thomas Pinney is a fantastic source documenting the wine industry in America. This find on Oxford Bib led to Pinney’s second volume in his history of wine series. While I found success in this area, I did not have luck finding sources on Lake Erie. While there are source sets on the War of 1812 and issues of pollution on the Lake, there is not much on other modern topics in regard to the lake and there is not much on the businesses and ports on the lake. This is something that I would have liked to see more of.
Another research area was the filibuster movement in Latin American and William Walker. I was unable to find any information on Walker. Oxford bib has many sources on Latin American History, but I was unable to find any sources n this specific person and his filibuster movement in Nicaragua. I will agree with my peers and say that it is very easy to get lost among the sources and it can take some digging to find the sources needed.

Overall, Oxford Bib is a great place to start in research and the source sets can lead to more sources in specific areas of interest. 

No comments:

Post a Comment